Sunday, October 23, 2005

Yes, this one is new

Since I've been reminded more than once that I haven't posted in over a month, I decided that it was about time to come up with something interesting to say. The problem is not that I haven't wanted to post (and I don't have the excuse of not having the internet at my houes anymore), but I really haven't known what to say. You get to the point where you think you've lost anyone who was interested in your blog since you haven't updated in so long, and now if you do post something, it better be good enough to regain your old readers. At least that's what I've been thinking and that's the truth about what's kept me from writing.

But even though I don't have anything terribly exciting to say, it is time to break the silence. Lately it seems like I've been talking to a lot of people (mostly adults older than myself, like my parents or customers at work) who ask the "how is school going for you?" question. The easiest way to answer this question is to say "fine" or "hard" or "it keeps me busy" or something to that extent. All semester I've been trying to determine what the honest response would be. Unfortunately, when I'm faced with that question lately I always end up saying something like "Well, I don't really feel like I'm in school right now. I mean, I GO to class most regularly, but I have really done little to no homework this semester. I've had a few exams in Spanish, but I usually get away with guessing pretty well." It's good to know that I can be honest with my parents (by giving this exact response) and know what their reaction will be. It's usually something like, "Well, that doesn't sound good, but just make sure you're keeping your grades up." I've always liked the fact that Mom and Dad trust that I'm keeping up with school and they don't feel the need to check up on me or scold me if I'm not getting straight A's. (Actually, I think Mom used to check up on me in high school by asking, "How's your homework?" and I'd say something like, "It's still homework," or something that totally didn't make sense but conveyed the message that I didn't really want to talk about it, so she gave up.)

SO, all that to say, school is going okay, but I'm starting to realize that this week is midterms, and I don't even know which textbooks on my shelf go with which class. So I should be reading and taking notes, but I'm going to continue to procrastinate until the night before each exam.

Aside from school I've been spending most of my time working, which is becoming slightly more enjoyable. I don't look forward to going, but I don't hate it that much. What I don't understand is why even though I'm enjoying it a little more than I did last year, I still have nightmares about Starbucks. Quite frequently. Earlier this week I had another dream where I was closing, but I wasn't allowed to close the store until customers stopped coming in. It was a busy night and people kept coming in and wanting coffee, and I got so frustrated that I yelled at the 16 year old boy I was closing with and made him cry (and in reality this kid is a total punk). The whole store was a mess and by 1am I was so mad that I just turned all the lights and music off, went up to the tables where the customers were sitting and screamed, "THAT'S IT. EVERYBODY GET OUT!!" I'm not sure how the dream ended, but when I woke up it was time to go to work and I was really annoyed.

I have such vivid dreams almost every night. It's really strange... This week I had a crazy dream about work, one about school and my professors, and one about my birthday. I don't really understand how dreams work, as far as why certain things happen in dreams. I know I've been thinking about all these things, but do dreams actually mean something about how I subconsciously perceive these situations and events? Does analyzing dreams actually make any sense? Do I make sense? Anyway, my dreams are about all that's exciting right now, but at least I can't get yelled at for not posting.

No comments: