Saturday, May 27, 2006

a few needed updates

I suppose it's time to actually post some info for those who may stumble across this blog that I don't talk to regularly (even though I doubt that's anyone). I've been trying to just fade out of the whole blogging scene, but I keep getting reminded that people still check this sometimes and like to see some new posts. So here are the updates:

First, I'm quitting my job at Starbucks in less than a week because, as usual, I've found something way better to do this summer. Two weeks from tomorrow I'll be leaving for Sicily, Italy to work teaching swimming lessons to kids on the naval base Sigonella. I'm hoping to do a lot of traveling around Italy, but I'm not sure how difficult it will be since Sicily is an island off the mainland and since I'll basically be teaching and lifeguarding Mon-Fri. As far as I know I will be living in barracks on the base, and hopefully I'll have a fair amount of internet access so I can post pictures and updates throughout the summer.

So, soon I will be in a place that looks a little something like this:

One of the best things about quitting Starbucks is that my friends that I've worked with for a while threw me a going away party. It was a combined party for me and a co-worker, Alex, who's moving to Taiwan. It was fun hanging out with them outside of work and they got some great decorations:

Another update is that three days after I return from Italy (Sept. 3rd), I'll be starting an internship at the American Red Cross - St. Paul Chapter. I'm really excited about this, too, because there are so many different areas of the Red Cross that I'd be interested in working in and I'll get to take different kinds of certification classes. My internship will be in Disaster Services, but with the Red Cross being such a huge organization, I'm hoping that the experience will be useful in getting some sort of work with them after I grauduate and move to who knows where.

The only thing left that I really need to figure out is where I'm going to live in the fall. I just moved all of my stuff out of my apartment in River Falls on Tuesday, and now I'm hoping to find a place to live in Hudson, WI in the fall. The only problem is that I can't afford to live by myself, so if anyone knows anyone who wants to live in Hudson with me, I'd be interested. For now I'm just hoping it'll fall into place when I come back and have three days to get over jet lag, move, and be ready to start my internship.

4 comments:

bradley said...

Wes Wilmer is starting a church in Hudson, and he and Aaron Markson live there. I wrote a comment on his blog giving him the link to this. His blog is http://wilmer.typepad.com/

krista said...

hey brad, thanks for the link. I've heard quite a bit about the church that has started there. I need to check it out but am usually working and now I'm not even in RF anymore... it's so crazy to me that Crown people are in Hudson... but I'd like to get involved, too.

bradley said...

I gave him your blog but he can't post because he doesn't have a blogger account and you don't allow anonymous comments. So head over there if you'd like him to help you out. He said he'd be on the lookout.

krista said...

man, people always tell me that and I don't know how to change it... I'll have to look into that whole anonymous posting thing.