I can't believe I've only been here for a week. It feels like a long time, but it's still going alright. I've taken a bunch of pictures that I want to put up here, but I can't figure out how to do it... I don't think it will work on the computers on the base because they don't let you put any new programs on the computer and for some reason there is no program available to view my pictures. So it might take me a while to figure it out.
Today is my day off and I'm not really sure what to do with myself. I can't go anywhere right now because I have to be back tonight for a meeting and tomorrow for work, but I did discover the bus schedule and I'm hoping to be able to take it in to Catania (the biggest city nearby, where I flew into when I got here) a lot on the weekends if I'm bored. This weekend was kind of crazy but we actually got off the base for the first time, which was really cool. On Friday night we went to a party on the beach that was kind of like those parties on the beach that you see in movies sometimes - bonfires, music, dancing. We met a bunch of Navy guys last week who call us every day to see if we want rides out to the places that they're going that night. I'm not really good friends with any of them, but we appreciate the rides and the suggestions of what we should try to see around here.
Saturday morning and afternoon I had to work at the pool while all of the day camp staff went to climb Mt. Etna, but it wasn't so bad skipping it because it was the grand opening of the pool for the summer and there was a truck giving out free gelato on the pool deck all day and the national Italian Synchronized Swimming team came to perform for us. It was definitely the highlight of my week here so far. They were so amazing, I'd never seen such a thing (and I've watched a lot of synchro). The whole team was made up of 1 4 year old girls who were in the best shape of anyone I've seen in a long time and apparently practice 6 or 7 days a week for 5 or 6 hours. And it showed. I took some video clips and pictures but I'm not sure if it will work to put them on here.
Saturday night we went into Catania and walked around the city. There were tons of people out and we ended up in this large square in the middle of the city watching the World Cup game on a huge screen projected over a building with hundreds of locals. It was the Italy vs. US game and we were the only Americans around, so we tried to just cheer when the Italians were cherring so we wouldn't get stared at. I met an American guy there and walked around with him for a bit while he explained to me what the different buildings are, historical aspects about them, and the best restaurants to go to and food to order. It was helpful talking to someone who has been living here for a little while and knows the way around the city.
Sunday morning I was woken up early and we drove out with some of the Navy guys to the most beautiful beach on the island, Fontane Bianche. We spent several hours there and it was absolutely gorgeous, with white sand and very clear/turquoise blue water. It was nice to relax and not be at the pool with tons of children, the only problem I encountered was trying to order some food for lunch and realizing that I have no idea how to speak to anyone in Italian. There was a man behind me in line who realized this, and I was grateful that he helped me order my sandwhich but a little annoyed when he followed me back to my spot on the beach and insisted on talking to me in broken English for an hour. I felt like I couldn't be rude to someone who had helped me out, but it is true that the middle aged Italian men here are giving us young American girls lots of attention. I was confused by this the whole day: the beach is full of stunningly attractive, thin, tan Italian women, and the Italian men chose to stare at US, the pasty white, really confused-looking blonde girls. I guess that's something to get used to.
My internet time here is up... I really wish I could figure out how to get the pictures on this post but it doesn't work. I don't know if it will work anywhere on the base, but hopefully I'll figure it out soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment