Tuesday, October 24, 2006

"I only forget about things like when you owe me money. I don't forget about books."

In response to Lynnea's comment and request, I am giving in to the trend that everyone else went along with months ago and posting my answers to the book questions. It's kind of hard to fill out since 1) I don't read nearly as much as everyone else does, and 2) I probably only finish 50% of the books that I start (sad, but unfortunately true). So, with that in mind...


1. One book that changed your life – Honestly, nothing comes to mind. You'd think that if it had really changed your life it would stand out and be an obvious answer for this question, so I'll just go with a book that I remember being impacting at the time - St. Augustine's Confessions. Or smashed by Koren Zailckas, but I just really liked that one. Not so much life changing. (Man, I'm horrible at this already.)

2. One book that you've read more than once – The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey

3. One book you'd want on a desert island - Life of Pi by Yann Martel - I'd learn from the main character how to survive in the middle of the ocean alone and maybe it'd give me hope that I'd make it back to land...

4. One book that made you laugh out loud – Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris, and whatever the first Left Behind book is called, because it was so horribly written it was funny.

5. One book that made you cry - I don't think I've ever cried reading a book, but if I was the kind of person who would cry reading a book it would probably be A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer.

6. One book that you wish had been written – I Kissed Kissing Dating Goodbye Goodbye, hopefully by some witty youth pastor or christian writer, just to spite Josh Harris.

7. One book you wish had never been written – For Better or the Absolute Worst: Adventures in Holy Matrimony by Julie Anne Fidler (I only read it because it was recommended to me and I was told it would be funny! WAS NOT), as well as most Anne Lamott books.

8. One book you're currently reading– at least 20 half started books on my shelves, The Devil Wears Prada by Laurn Weisberger, Dunant's Dream: War, Switzerland and the History of the Red Cross by Caroline Moorehead, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

9. One book you've been meaning to read – finishing all of the ones I've started... and C.S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces, Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller, and Robert Coles' The Moral Intelligence of Children.

There, now I can't get harassed for not posting anymore. Any comments?

27 comments:

Jonas of Sinope said...

I was hoping you were going to do the mock post of this with every answer being a joke, like we talked about. But now I don't even remember what books you were going to use. Oh well. Good to see you post anytime. Although I am still waiting for you to think of doing something as brilliant as putting a Boggle picture on your blog.

Lynnea said...

That was a brilliant idea, wasn't it?

Thall said...

1. One book that changed your life –
God is the Gospel by Piper

2. One book that you've read more than once – Great Gatsby

3. One book you'd want on a desert island - Hmm. I could be all spiritual and say the Bible, but instead I'll go with a book of Sudoku puzzles.

4. One book that made you laugh out loud – Any book that has the author's face plastered right on it - Joyce Meyers, Ann Coulter, Joel Osteen, all that pop-'Christian' crap. Oh, and anything by Creflo Dollar. I mean, you seriously changed your name to Creflo Dollar because you love money that much?

5. One book that made you cry -
The Indispensible Calvin and Hobbes. I laughed so hard I cried, and peed a bit.

6. One book that you wish had been written – I Kissed Bundling Goodbye

7. One book you wish had never been written – I'm going to go with anything that would fall into the 'Romance' genre. So its not really one book, but I couldn't just pick one.

8. One book you're currently reading– Red Rabbit by Clancy


9. One book you've been meaning to read – Catch 22. I've taken it off my bookshelf with the intent of reading more than any other book, but I've still been unable to open that cover.


ps. I think you should do as second post except with some of these mock answers. I'd like to see that!

Julie said...

Well, as long as my book didn't make you literally puke, I guess all is not hopeless.

Lynnea said...

Don't worry, Krista, you just don't get that book because you're not MARRIED.

It actually is funny. It's just married people humor.

I would know.

bradley said...

you should always pick books that a lot of people reference, so the author can't google him/herself and find out what you said! on the other hand, i wish bruce wilkerson would come by my blog and we could argue about whether the crux of the gospel hinges on a tiny prayer in the middle.

Lester said...

I just realized that the same book made us laugh out loud. Whatever. You can't kill The Rooster.

I wonder if Joshua Harris Googles himself often...

Sarah said...

Krista,

Some authors need to pick different jobs. No author appeals to everyone.

The moral of this story is: if you don't want to know, don't google yourself.

Lynnea said...

I'll totally buy it, Jimmy. Get writing!

krista said...

Bryan - this WAS the sarcastic post... didn't you know? and I'd like to point out, once again, that the boggle post was my idea!

and Jimmy, of COURSE I will buy your book. I've been waiting for it to come out for years.

Lynnea said...

Erica is currently the funniest person I know.

Lynnea said...

Oh, and don't forget to vote for us on Tuesday! We have brochures if you would like to see one.

Thank you for your support.

Julie said...

Hey, you're totally allowed to hate it. I was more amused than anything else.

As for paying back $42... well, apparently other people hated it, too, because I haven't exactly gone out and bought a Jaguar with my royalties.

And yes, sometimes authors google themselves. First time authors, anyway. It's the novelty of it. :-)

Lynnea said...

At least you HAVE a book published. I don't think anyone else here can say that.

Thall said...

Are you telling me that you haven't read my book yet Lynnea? I'm so diappointed in you 'partner'.

Lynnea said...

Oh, ummmm....I wasn't counting you, Tyler. Of course I've read your book, partner. I assumed that that goes without saying.

Thall said...

I think its time for you to post again and incur the wrath of another author!

krista said...

look here, Mr. T, I'll post when I wanna post.

Lynnea said...

I agree with Tyler, but then again, I usually do...

Thall said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
krista said...

that's what I have to say about that!

Thall said...

You can't censor me!! Oh wait, you just did. Dangit

krista said...

ha! take that!

Thall said...

Happy Birthday!

krista said...

hmmm... that was a strange comeback. thank you.

bradley said...

Well, regardless of what you thought of her book, I think I'd get along with Julie if we hung out, based on this (from her blog):

Here's to credit cards and drunk grandparents.

Amen!

Thall said...

Your grandparents should really stop drinking at Christmas Krista