Wednesday, April 11, 2007

the word is out

Well friends, I suppose it's about time for an update. I think it's pretty obvious that I don't particularly care much about communicating with people through blogs, and would rather email or call my friends, but it's been made clear to me that I'm expected to write about at least one thing that's happened in the last few months.


I'm engaged. I have the coolest guy, and the sweetest ring, and we're pretty excited.

Bryan already wrote about a how the whole engagement happened, so I'll write about it briefly but the full story can be found on his blog.

Back in January, I had a trip planned to go visit Tyler in Canada. Because he's so good at taking care of me and knows that I hate the long drive (that he ends up making about once a month), he naturally asked if he could buy my plane tickets and book my trip. I agreed, he emailed the itinerary to me, and I made arrangements to get a ride to the airport.

I never knew Tyler was so sneaky; he is usually pretty predictable, and I guess that's why he planned everything this way, because Lynnea informed him that I was pretty sure he would propose when I was visiting. As it turns out, Tyler had really made up the itinerary that he emailed to me and ended up driving down to Minneapolis the day before I was supposed to leave. He was pretty thoughtful in working things out with Lynnea and Bryan to get me to be at one of our favorite places in the winter - Centennial Lakes. The only flaw to his plan is that I eneded up making other plans with my friends that night and by the time I met up with Lynnea and Bryan I was annoyed that they wanted to drag me out into the cold to skate or just "walk around the lake." When they suggested the idea, I was completely uninterested and planned on going home. They eventually convinced me to go with them so that we could take a picture of the three of us together - the idea tempting and convincing only because Lynnea said, "and Bryan even agrees to smile like a normal person."

When we got to the lake I was ready to get the whole thing over with, so I walked towards a scenic area as fast as I could. Tyler had been hiding out near the area for about half an hour, so when I approached and became distracted by skaters on the lake that were about to fall through the thin ice, he came up behind me, tapped me on the shoulder, and immediately dropped to one knee.

I have to admit that I was very surprised. Although I picked out the ring myself and thought that he might propose soon, I didn't expect him to drive down the night before I was supposed to visit HIM and surprise me. I think before I said yes I repeated, "what are you doing here?!?" about 5 times. Tyler and I have joked for a while that when we get married he will have to deal with my spending habits - not that I can't save my money, but there are times when I genuinely need things and he'll have to accept that. I joked that I would put conditions on our marriage if he ever proposed so that he wouldn't give me a hard time about shopping after we're married. Once I understood that he was really waiting for an answer from me, I decided that it was my chance to get him to agree to whatever I wanted, and asked him if he would let me buy as many pairs of shoes as I wanted after we're married. He laughed and said yes, and then so did I.



So, sorry for the delay, but I was trying to call/email friends before I posted it in a public place. Hopefully everyone has heard from my own mouth before reading this post, and hopefully everyone can join us here in Minnesota on October 12th, 2007!

4 comments:

Lester said...

This is the first picture I've seen of the ring. It IS totally sweet. Exactly six months to go.

What are you talking about with your spending habits? Has Tyler shopped with us? Doesn't he know that he's getting the financially wise one? Remember? We are: Frugal Krista, Bargain Lynnea and Bankrupt Lester. Oh you'll buy shoes, but only if they're a decent pair at a decent price which don't closely resemble a pair you already own that you are certain you'll wear. I know some people who are incapable of that...

Jonas of Sinope said...

So ... were those Tyler's three choices? I always wondered about that summer that Lynnea and Tyler became partners while Krista was away...

Lynnea said...

Yay for Krista getting engaged,and writing on her blog.

Bryan: You are going to get me in trouble.

Lester: I bought the cutest pair of shoes today...on sale, of course.

Lester said...

And Bryan, you forget that Tyler and I slept in the SAME ROOM when our U-Hell died in Denver. (Krista and I didn't know this was a problem until some people at Crown told her so.)

And Lynnea, I heard about the shoes and advocated structuring our bridesmaid outfits around them while Krista and I spent three hours getting caught up. Conversations like this are honestly why we share a cell phone provider.