Friday, November 05, 2010

A tribute to India

I've been feeling nostalgic these days. I often reflect on the past through rose-colored glasses, which I actually don't think is a bad thing. Why not remember everything more enjoyable than it might have been and forget about the things that are worth forgetting? Right now I'm nostalgic because a year ago today I left for my first (and only, at this point) trip to India. I know a lot of people love traveling, but there is something about going to and even learning about other places and cultures that just gives me a rush. I guess it's why I am always thinking about where to go next and never feel content in one place. I love everything about going to a new country I've never been to; I love first stepping foot in the airport and taking in a big breath of air I've never smelled before; I love hearing people speak words I don't understand; I love trying new food; I love seeing the way people dress, drive, and interact with each other; what I love most about meeting new people is learning what they think is the best thing to see/do/experience in their country/city.

When I found out I would have the opportunity to go to India for work, I was thrilled. It was stressful preparing as I had to apply for a visa, which took longer than usual because I have a US passport but was applying at the Indian High Commission in Canada. For some reason that caused a problem, and I didn't get my passport back until about 18 hours before I boarded the plane. But once strapped in, on my way, I was giddy. I didn't even mind being crammed between 2 large people on the flight from Paris to Delhi in a plane that didn't seem to have air conditioning; in 8 short hours I would be in a new country! I didn't sleep at all.

I didn't get to stay for long and I was there for work... so I while I can't describe the trip as a holiday, it was an amazing experience to be able to stay with locals, be taken out to their favorite restaurants, eat meals in their home, see a few sites in the capital of India, shop at the local markets, and squeeze a few work meetings in there as well.

Here's me at the gate of India!

Sorry for being delightfully vague... it's intentional as I do not want this blog to be about my job (if you want to know more, leave me a message). So for that reason I won't give away too many more details about my trip but suffice it to say I am missing that part of the world and am feeling the need to go back... hopefully soon...


...because I miss the auto rickshaws! Why can't we have these in Canada?? I would totally take these over taxis!

No comments: