Saturday, January 31, 2009

Funny

The day after the presidential inauguration I was having an interesting conversation with the 6 year old boy that I take care of. I'm not sure how we got on the topic, but he was informing me that you are an adult when you become 30, and when you become 50 you are a grandparent. I asked him if he thought I was an adult yet, and he said yes, and I asked how that could be since I'm not 30 yet. This baffled him. Then I told him that my parents are over 50, and they aren't grandparents yet. This REALLY baffled him. I could tell by his facial expression that he was trying to figure out in his head how all this could be possible. I explained that my parents can't be grandparents until I (or my brother or sister) have a baby. This made sense to him, so he told me that even though they don't have grandkids they can still be called Grandma and Grandpa; I decided not to explain to him that calling my parents Grandma and Grandpa might confuse or offend them... he probably wouldn't understand. Later on he asked where my parents live. I told him they live in the U.S. His eyes lit up, he looked at me and said, "Then yesterday was their lucky day! Barack Obama became the first black president of the United States!" I'm not sure if my parents considered it their lucky day or not, but I was pretty impressed with the comment. :)

3 comments:

ThePackerBacker said...

That is hilarious, profound and informative all at the same time! It is good that you have found a guy that you can carry a conversation with :) Take care Krista and it was great seeing you at the Lehner's. I hope that your drive back to the Canadian country went well.

Lynnea said...

I've been waiting for you to write about this! It's about time! It was funny all over again. :)

Rebecca said...

I never want to be called "Grandma!" Remember that!!