Thursday, January 20, 2005

everyone at work hates their life, which doesn't make me a very happy person, either.

It's so depressing to go to work. Most of the people there are quitting, which makes me want to quit because all I ever hear about are the nasty things that people say about each other, what terrible workers my fellow employees are, and how awful the manager is at her job. Frankly, I don't really care much about any of those things. Yes, I think that my manager could do more than she does right now to run the place more smoothly, but I really don't want to hear over and over about all the drama that is going on between staff members. The environment is so hostile and everyone talks bad about each other. I agree that some people should not still be working there (like the guy who answered his cell phone while he was with a customer and told another customer that the Tsunami relief efforts were worthless because "everyone's going to die anyway"... yeah, that was the wrong thing to say), but I'm so tired of everyone freaking out all the time. I think some of them really need the drama because their whole lives revolve around 1) work and 2) making others look bad. But I've gotten to the point where I really don't care if others bad-talk me behind my back. I don't get my self-worth from them.

On the bright side, someone brought a homemade-from-scratch chocolate cake with strawberries on top to us at work tonight. It was the greatest thing that's ever happened to me at that place. So we worked like mad to clean as much as we could in 30 minutes and then ate cake for about an hour. Ignoring the rest of the cleaning list and chatting with my favorite co-workers over a nice piece of chocolate cake are the only things that keep me sane and make me forget for a short while that I work for the largest coffeeshop chain in the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say, buy a gun.