Yesterday at work this nice Jamaican man was shoveling our sidewalk, so I invited him in for some hot chocolate. For some reason I thought that he probably wouldn't take me up on this, or that IF he came in he probably wouldn't chat much. He did come in, though. And then again twice today.
It wouldn't bother me if it weren't for the fact that each time he comes in I feel a little more uncomfortable. Last night while I was talking with him I learned that his full time job is putting on concerts (I'm not sure where) and that he does this wintery maintenance for a little extra cash (I would too, if I knew the city of Woodbury was paying me $25/hr). After a few minutes of this conversation I start to go back to whatever I was doing and he stares at me and says in his sultry Jamaican accent, "You are very attractive. Men must not come in here to get coffee, they probably just want to look at you." What do you say to that?
"Um, thank you. Enjoy the hot chocolate."
It wasn't a big deal last night. A little strange and creepy to me, but I've had a few Jamaican friends before and I learned quickly with them that they are very blunt and also a bit obsessed with pretty girls. Thinking I would never see him again, I wish him a good night and good luck with the shoveling. It snowed almost 10 inches yesterday. He had his work cut out for him.
But it didn't snow this morning, so I was surprised to see him again. And again this afternoon. At first I greeted him and asked how his evening went last night to which he responded, "You have such beautiful eyes."
"Um, thank you. Another large hot chocolate no whip cream?"
A few hours later he returns and I tried to act like he was a regular customer. I joked with him about needing so much hot chocolate but in my head I was hearing, "The men must not come in here to get coffee. They probably just want to look at you." It was awkward. What was more awkward was that he followed me next door to the bagel shop during my break. The nice girl making my sandwich must have been too slow for him, because he left after waiting for a few minutes. I don't usually think too much about instances like these, but when someone makes a comment like this to me and then continues to come in time after time, I have to admit that I start to feel a little uncomfortable.
I should have asked him to shovel around my car last night. It took me like 15 minutes to dig out my car and plow my way though the parking lot. I drove back to my apartment in River Falls because the roads were too bad to drive all the way to my parents' house. I caught up my newly engaged roommate, which was good, and slept in my bed in my room, which was also good. I'm a little excited to go back tomorrow.
3 comments:
HAHA! My those Jamaicans are friendly....
"I've had a few Jamaican friends before and I learned quickly with them that they are very blunt and also a bit obsessed with pretty girls."
So you think you're pretty? That's pretty narcissistic of you. There are many reasons he could be looking after you. Of course, you're so outward focused that all you can think about is physical attraction. Gosh!
That statement doesn't imply that they are obsessed with ME.
And screw you for judging me.
Post a Comment