Tuesday, May 03, 2005

I like lists

Yesterday I made a list at work to keep my mind occupied so I didn't lose my sanity.

Ten things I hate about customers (in no particular order):

1.I hate it when customers throw their credit cards at me. I don't know if it reflects pure laziness or lack of manners, or both.

2. I hate it when customers come in on their cell phones, whisper their order to me so that the person on the other end doesn't realize that they're trying to talk to me at the same time, and THEN throw their credit cards at me. (Example: Yesterday a man came up to my register while he was on the phone. I stared at him, because I don't think it's worth my breath to even greet someone who isn't going to hear me, and he whispered, "Medium mocha chip." "Excuse me?" I asked. He repeated himself, in a whisper, while I became even more annoyed that he was treating me like I was less important even though I was the one providing a service to him. "What's that?" I said loudly. We don't have anything on the menu by that name, even though I could have easily guessed what he wanted. He finally asked the person to hold for a minute, looked up at the menu and figured it out. Then he threw $20 at me.)

3. I hate it when people ask me to break a $50 or $100 bill for their $1.54 cup of coffee. Then they get upset when I say I can't. I always want to say, "Go to a frickin' bank!"

4. I hate it when orders begin with "Give me..." Why didn't these snobby adults' sbobby parents teach them manners?

5. I hate it when I make exactly what someone orders and they take one sip of it, practically spit it out and proclaim, "This is NOT what I thought it would taste like!" Which is usually followed by, "Give me something else." I usually respond by saying that I tried to tell them what it would taste like but I will make them something else, anyway. Generally, I hated this customer already because they threw a credit card at me or were on the phone while they ordered.

6. I hate it when customers order a cappuccino and then are surprised that the cup is mostly full of foam. I am convinced that people just think the word sounds cool so they think they'll like the drink. I can't help but make the assumption that these people are "gas station coffee drinkers."

7. I hate it when customers are impatient in line and then they finally get up the cash register and realize that they still don't know what they want.

8. I hate it when customers ask me to describe or compare two different mild coffees. They all taste the same to me.

9. I hate it when customers break something or spill an entire cup of coffee or a latte and then just leave without telling me. (It's not like I'm going to make THEM mop it up or something.)

10. I despise any customer that comes in after 10:30pm.


The list could go on. I guess the ultimate obnoxious customer would be one who comes in at 10:45 pm and waits in line, gets up to the register and doesn't know what they want, orders a cappuccino that they won't really like while talking on their cell phone (of course saying "Gimme a cappuccino."), throws their credit card or $50 bill at me, gets mad when I say I can't break that bill, ends up spilling the whole cup and leaves. Grrrrr.

Maybe tomorrow at work I'll make a list of the things that I like about customers. Or maybe I'll make a list of the things I hate about my co-workers. Oooohh.. there's so many lists I could make about that awful place.

No comments: